Thursday, March 1, 2012

Smets and Smiths

Blanche Smith, my grandmother

Back in 1988 I became curious about my mother’s maternal family.  I had never met my grandmother, Blanche, since she died before I was born.   By researching microfilmed newspapers I was able to locate her obituary, which gave me enough information to trace her birth to Napierville, Quebec, Canada, the daughter of Gilbert and Elise (Morin) Smith. 
 According to the obituary, dated November 21, 1955, she immigrated to Lowell, Massachusetts, “45 years ago” which would put her at 14 years old in 1910.   By this time Gilbert had died in Canada and Elise had remarried Delphis Lussier.

But my curiosity at the time was not about Blanche and her family in 1910.  I was more interested in finding out about Gilbert Smith and his family.  My mother didn’t have much information about the Smith family, just some stories of cousins in Lowell.  Whenever she spoke of the Smith’s she would always use the French pronunciation of the name, Smets

Since the internet was just a thought in Al Gore’s mind at the time, (ha, ha) my next step was to write to Canada.  I wrote to the City Library of Montreal, specifically asking about Gilbert Smith.  To my surprise, they were able to trace the Smith family back four generations to J.B. Smith, who was married in L’Acadie in 1798.  His parents were Jean and Anastasie (Hebert) Smith, but they could not locate a marriage record for them. 
They probably would have married around 1778, according to the librarian.  I thought that was interesting giving the time period. 

Where were they married?  Where were they from?  These questions were not answered until many years later, when my son was assigned a family history project in middle school. 
What do you think?  Any ideas about how this mystery played out?   I would love to hear what you think, but only if you truly do not know the outcome of this search. 



3 comments:

  1. She was born October 28, 1734 in Grand Pre, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Jean was the son of Benjamin Smith and Mary Russell.
    they were married: 1762 in Guilford, Connecticut

    Lucky guess??
    http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/o/n/Ben-R-Londeree-MO/BOOK-0001/0009-0201.html NOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct HR, but how did a French Canadian girl end up in a New England colony? Don't answer that! More to come...Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to Google Map it, but my paternal grandmother ("memere") was from 2 hrs north of Napierville, Quebec, Canada (from Trois Rivieres). Coincidentally, the part of Alabama I am living in is called Napier Field ;) About the "Smith" pronunciation... there is no "th" sound in French as there is in English. My Dad spoke French before he spoke English...and even in his 70s couldn't pronounce words with "th" in it. Thumb became tumb and moth became mot! :)

    ReplyDelete