Sunday, March 25, 2012

Evidence of a Life






Although my grandmother died before I was born, my mother kept her spirit alive by relaying stories about her.  Through accounts imparted by my mother, I always envisioned my grandmother as a kind person who loved her garden.  Conversations about my namesake, Blanche, have always begun with the tribute, “My mother was an angel”.  These vivid descriptions of my grandmother have always imparted a captivating glimpse into her life.

Knowing something about a person you are about to research provides a connection, a glimpse into their lifetime.  Talking to family members is an important step in making connections to the past.  Family stories are a terrific way to pass down information about the life and times of our ancestors.

For whatever reason, sometimes there may be little or no information conveyed.  Fortunately, there are ways to begin to put together a life story through records.  The search may entail some detective work and include a few detours, which may lead down some wrong paths, but it certainly is an achievable and rewarding venture to pursue.

In my post From New Ross to America, I knew that I wanted to write about John Bennett, my husband’s grandfather, yet I knew very little about him.  The information I had to begin with was that he came from Ireland, settled in Chicago, and spent his golden years living with his daughter and her family in Colorado.

When I started researching his life a few years ago, I did not know where in Ireland he was born, the names of his parents, his wife’s name, his occupation, or if he had any siblings.
However, the search continues as I pursue more information on John Bennett’s parents and siblings in Ireland.


 So how did I find out most of this information? 

Through various recorded documents, I was able to piece together evidence of John Bennett’s life.

  •       Passenger Records
o       John Bennett came through Ellis Island in 1910
o       Gave the name and address of relative or friend in Ireland and
o       The name and address of relative or friend in America

  •       United States Census
o       John Bennett was not in the 1910 US Census, since he arrived in May and the census was taken in April
o       1920 US Census
o       1930 US Census
  •      Social Security Death Index
o       Evidence of birth date, death date, and last residence
  •       Social Security Application Form
o       Gave place of birth
o       Father's full name "regardless of whether living or dead"
o       Mother's full name, including maiden name, "regardless of whether living or dead"
  •       Marriage License
o       Name of bride and groom
o       Date and place of marriage






  •      WWI and WWII Draft Registration Records   
    •     Place of residence, whether married or single, occupation


  •      Naturalization Records Index
o       Place of residence


    
Source Information:

  Ancestry.com. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: 
Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
 

 Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.


 Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.

  Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920.  Illinois Department of Public Health. “Marriage Records, 1871 - present." Division of Vital Records, Springfield. FHL microfilm. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah




3 comments:

  1. Charlene, I just found your blog via GeneaBloggers. Nice work. I am also researching our family lines from Ireland, and just getting into the process of climbing the learning curve on Irish resources. It's fascinating, but I know I have a lot yet to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a lot to learn about Irish resources. I find the Irish immigrant experience captivating!

      Delete