Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.
On a warm sunny June day driving along any New
England road you are sure to chance upon an eye-catching sight, a beautiful
bride and groom exiting a church. I
usually stop my car to admire the bridal party from afar. I love everything about
weddings, the dress, the ceremony, the music, and of course the cake!
I did not get to witness my grandparents
wedding and I do not even know if they had a reception, but I do get to admire
the beautiful wedding portraits that were passed down to me. My grandparents, Josephine Pimentel and
Manuel Santos were married in 1923, in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
![]() | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Wedding Portrait of my grandparents Josephine and Manuel, September 29, 1923 |




What lovely photographs!! Thanks for sharing them!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jana! These portraits are some of my favorites.
DeleteI do too love the photos, it's an amazing document not only of your family, but the way brides and grooms dressed in the 20's. Thanks for posting them!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy that you enjoyed the photos. I am fortunate that my grandmother saved them and passed them down to me.
ReplyDeleteCharlene, I have a question? Nobody looks happy? This was their wedding day am i correct?
ReplyDeleteYes it is their Wedding day and I bet they were Happy! Actually, smiling for pictures is a 20th century phenomenon and did not become popular until the mid-1920’s. We are so accustomed to smiling for the camera whether we are "happy" or not! Maybe in the future people will ask why we look so happy all the time!
DeleteThese are beautiful Charlene... I think I may have some from the Desmarais side of the family. I found several pictures in my mom's attic. :) I'll let you know.
DeleteThank you Mary-Lou, I would love to see pictures of our family!
Delete