In 1989, I struck a broken branch while searching my Smith lineage and it halted my efforts. My
interests soon changed from exploring the past to living in the present. All my notes and correspondences sat tucked
away in a corner of my musty basement, gathering dust.
Fourteen years later, my oldest son came home from middle
school with an interesting social studies task entitled, Family Tree Project. The
year was 2003, and by that time, the advent of the Internet made it possible to
discover all kinds of information right at your fingertips. I felt a flutter of excitement as I dusted
off my old notebooks, and a giddy feeling came over me thinking that maybe there
was more information to uncover.
With uncertain anticipation, I raced to the computer. I do not recall exactly how I found the
website I used, Roots Web.com, a free
website affiliated with Ancestry.com. Roots Web is a great place to start a
family search since it is comprised of thousands of family histories people
have contributed to the site.
Was the illusive information I had been seeking for so
many years about the Smiths now right before my eyes?
What I uncovered on that day was that John and Anastasie
(Dupuis) Smith were married in North Guilford, Connecticut in 1769. North
Guilford, Connecticut? I never knew
until that very moment that I was a descendant of a New England colonist. On that fateful day, it took me about thirty
minutes to trace the Smith family all the way back to 1634 to Thomas Smith,
known as the Father of the Connecticut
Smiths!
![]() |
| This 1758 map of Connecticut shows where Thomas Smith lived. |
The school project was finished, but my notes were no longer
going to sit idly in the corner. The search continued as I began checking
sources and revealing more fascinating stories about my ancestors.

I have also had some good luck with putting down a "broken branch" and coming back to it. It's especially nice because the Internet is always evolving. You might not find something now, but in a few months you could find all kinds of information. That is one reason I love to blog...perhaps I'll be the find that helps someone else!
ReplyDeleteThat is so true Heather, there is such a wealth of information on the web!
ReplyDelete