The aroma of freshly fried dough brings me back to my Vovo's kitchen and fond memories of her expertly crafting perfectly fried, and delicately sugared malasadas. Even though I have had my share of dough-boy's throughout the years, I have not come across any that compare to hers.
Sunday I decided to try my hand at making malasadas, just like Vovo's! Yeah, right! Since, I don't have my Vovo's recipe, I decided to google a recipe. I proceeded to make the dough, okay that was easy. I can do this! One of my son's confided that he had learned to make dough-boy's in a middle school cooking class. Perfect! He walked away of course, uninterested in the process. That was until he saw my attempt at making one.
Suddenly, everyone in the house was involved, laughing at my futile attempt at frying dough. "And she calls herself Portuguese?", was among the many comments about my unsuccessful pursuit.
I didn't realize you had to stretch the dough before you dropped it into the oil, so my attempts puffed up and didn't cook in the middle. I lost a lot of dough before "the expert", my son who made them in middle school, took over the process.
![]() |
| Dough before rising. |
![]() |
| Dough rising. |
![]() |
| Dough after rising. |
![]() |
| Yum... |
The finished product, although still not as good as Vovo's, wasn't bad for a first attempt. I may try again for Easter!
By the way, the title of this post, Boondoggle, is what my husband calls my experiments in the kitchen!




Even though my mom,aunt and grandmother would speak Portuguese in the kitchen I never knew the Portuguese name for fried dough. We called the "puffing billies". Some time when we visited them we would go after church to a Portuguese bakery for the dough.
ReplyDeleteI don't know when I made the connection between Malasadas and Dough Boys, which are popular in NE, especially at fairs. My attempt at making them would definitely fit your name for them "puffing billies"! Did you also have Masa Sovada (Sweet Bread) on Easter?
DeleteYes we did have sweet bread. My Vovo and aunt would make it also on holidays like Xmas and Thanksgiving
ReplyDelete