I had the opportunity, along with my husband to visit the Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site in Saugus, Massachusetts this past weekend. My visit was not because of curiosity about
the iron industry, although I am intrigued now that I took a tour of the Iron
Works. I have been researching a
particular ancestor on and off for a few years, and recently my quest led me to
Saugus. There will be more about him in
a future post, but for now, I would like to tell you about my experience at the
Iron Works.![]() | |
| Blacksmith Shop |
Although, it was a damp and rainy day, we were lucky to be a
part of a free guided tour along with a pack of curious cub scouts. Our park ranger acquainted us with the iron
making process as well as the history of the iron industry in the colonies and
the men who founded, managed, and worked at the mill. The Company of
Undertakers of the Iron Works of New England, a group of about twenty
Englishmen and three or four Massachusetts residents, employed many of the
workers, indentured servants from England and Scottish prisoners of the English
Civil War. Hammersmith Iron Works lasted
until the 1650’s when many of the men who labored at Hammersmith went on to work
at other iron mills throughout New England.
Whether you are a teacher of history or science, a cub scout
leader, or just curious, I highly recommend a visit the Saugus Iron Works,
which is the gateway to the Essex National Heritage Area.



This is great post, and a reminder for me to go back and revisit the Saugus Ironworks. I have several family tree connections to the Ironworks, and lots of Saugus/Lynn ancestors.
ReplyDeleteThank you Heather! It was definitely a worthwhile visit. Maybe we are related!
Delete