Sunday, October 21, 2012

Picture This





Exploring old pictures is an aspect of family history that I find enjoyable, especially when I can identify the people in the pictures.    However, sometimes the people in the picture take a backseat to the surroundings within the picture, when trying to pinpoint where the photo took place.

My great-grandmother is pictured in the middle back row, her parents are seated in front.
 As I was studying this first picture, attempting to identify who was in it, I noticed that the building in the background appeared to be made of stucco.  I then realized that this picture was not taken in New England, were my great-grandparents had immigrated, but was taken in the Azores, where they were born and raised.

 
My grandmother in her early teens, is in the back row right.



The background of this second picture is consistent of one that is more familiar to me and easier to identify, a typical New England clapboard home adorned with shutters.



No comments:

Post a Comment