Cool, crisp morning air, the rumbling sound of school buses,
relishing the sweet smell of marigolds in their final days, the bright, warming
afternoon sunshine and the increasingly shorter days of September.
September is the month associated with the end of summer and
going back to school, even if it has been years since you have stepped into a
classroom, the sights, sounds, and smells of September can refresh memories of long
past school days.
A few years ago, while rummaging through my attic, (actually,
I do not do the attic rummaging, I leave that to my husband) I came across my
father’s college notebooks from the year 1953. Among his notes in chemistry, accounting, and
history was my favorite find, his English notes, which included some of his
early writing assignments. Most of his writings were about cars and the auto industry,
which is no surprise since cars were his passion throughout his life.
However, my father’s writings that caught my attention and
gave me a unique glimpse into the dreams of a 21-year-old college student in
1953, are the writings I will share with you.
Although they may seem a bit sketchy in spots, these short
pieces provide a brief, poignant look at life in the 1950’s through my father’s
perspective.
![]() |
| *Click on the letter to make it more visible. |






Charlene,
ReplyDeleteThank you for following me on my genealogy blog. I hope you will come read my other blogs as well. I love your storys. The one you just posted about your dad and sharing his papers...I had to fight back the tears because I just read some of my moms own writing. If they only knew that a letter or paper wrote so long ago could have such an effect on our life's now.
Thank you for sharing.
click here
Thank you for reading my posts, I appreciate your kind words. I also fight back the tears every time I read these writings! I look forward to reading your other blogs. - Charlene
Delete