Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Here Goes It!

I figured I would start a blog about my family research, since I've been contemplating doing it for a long time.  So here goes it! (that is in honor of my Canadian roots).

My journey began over twenty years ago when I was working as a reference assistant in a historical library. Along with the drudge work of paging and shelving books, I got to assist  patrons in their genealogical quests. Sifting through old records and family histories was enjoyable then, and I still enjoy doing it today. Most of the people I helped could trace their families back to colonial New England.
 I wasn't inclined to research my own family, since my father's family were considered "recent" immigrants, and I didn't know much about my mother's side, since both her parents were deceased.  Besides, I got all the information I needed about my family from my grandmother (vovo). Both of my father's parents were children at the beginning of the twentieth century when they came from the Azores with their families. Growing up in a two family tenement with my grandparents gave me a wealth of family unity and heritage. 
Oh there are so many stories to tell!  Stories I was told and stories that the records have told me... 
My intentions are to write about what I have been told, what I have discovered, and yes, how I found out all that I know, and of course the process of finding out new information.  I will explore both sides of my family as well as my husband's family and any friend's who will allow me to tell their stories. 
Josephine, my vovo

2 comments:

  1. Found my way here through the Lower East Side Tenement Museum's FB page, then yours. A circuitous route not unlike genealogy research! I just finished reading 97 Orchard by Jane Ziegelman and am tangled in the branches of my own family tree, as well as writing my own newly launched blog. So I'm glad to find someone living a seemingly parallel life!

    Good luck with all your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm glad you found me, I will be sure to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete