I sometimes jump into things
blindly believing that either my guardian angel or my instincts will show me
the way. I was hoping for divine
guidance this past Sunday when I took a drive to visit my maternal and paternal
grandparent’s graves. Although I had not
been to the cemetery in years, I was confident I could find them without knowing
the plot number. As I was walking
aimlessly, admiring some elaborate stones, I noticed a couple watching me as
they were attending to a grave, or maybe it was just my highly developed
imagination or paranoia shifting into overdrive.
I watched them through the
corner of my eye, trying not too look like I was watching them watch me as they
got back into their truck and slowly drove around the curved cemetery road. The pick-up truck they were driving stopped
directly in front of me and a tall middle-aged woman got out and walked toward
me. I knew it! My angel arrived! Being a member of the church in which the
cemetery was located, as well as a frequent visitor, she very knowledgeable
about the layout of the cemetery. She
proceeded to give me some tips on where to look and then the cemetery angel was
on her way, leaving me to continue my search.
| |
| Where I should have gone first! |
|
|
|
|
It was not long before I came across my
maternal grandparents. I never met my grandmother, who died before I was born
and I barely knew my grandfather since he died when I was a child.
 |
My mother's parents.
After awhile I preceded onto
my paternal grandparents graves, in a section of the cemetery known as the ball field.
As I was cleaning the mold
from my grandparent’s grave, I could hear the sounds of a baseball game in
progress in the adjoining park, which brought back memories of warm summer days
listening to the Red Sox on my grandfather’s radio.
What a perfect place for my grandfather
to be, I imagine he is certainly in his glory listening to his beloved baseball.
|
|
|
|
 |
| My father's parents before... |
|
|
|
 |
| and after cleaning. |
Charlene... That really put a lump in my throat and some watery eyes... Thinking of Vovo or(Munwell as it was pronounced)..listening or watching the Red Sox...he would drink one Narragansett Beer and a piece of portuguese bread... and when it was over he would get up from that chair... and always said the same thing "The Bums" in his thick portuguese accent!
ReplyDeleteI think about Vovo every time I hear the Red Sox on the radio. It just doesn't feel like summer until I've listened to a game. He's certainly calling them "the bums" this year!!
ReplyDelete