An important aspect of genealogical research is perusing old
documents. Handwritten records were common before the use of machines such as automated
typewriters, so I am always hopeful that the recorder had legible penmanship.
However, the legibility of a document has not always been
the only obstacle I have encountered. Although
the handwriting can be a hurdle in uncovering information in a document,
sometimes what I overlook or misunderstand can hamper a finding. I have examined the passenger list that
includes my grandmother and her parents and siblings several times. Some things just did not add up, but I assumed
that what I was reading was transcription errors so I never pursued looking
further, until now.
My great-grandparents were in all likelihood filled with mixed
emotions as they began their voyage. Certainly, there was the steadfast
optimism in what America had to offer, but also mixed with the anguish of
leaving behind their home and extended family.
![]() |
The Saxonia typically left Liverpool with passengers from
all over Europe who were bound for America.
|
My father’s maternal grandparents, Francisco and Quiteria Pimentel
arrived at the Port of Boston on May 13, 1909 as steerage passengers aboard the
S.S. Saxonia. Traveling with them was
seven of their children, six girls and one boy ranging in ages from sixteen to
an infant. The Port of Boston at the
time was becoming a preferred port of entry for immigrants from Europe. Word spread across the Atlantic that recent immigrants
perceived the port as more desirable than New York because it was less
expensive, the travel time was shorter, and the station for examination of new
immigrants was less crowded than Ellis Island.
![]() |
The Third Class Lounge
This photograph was taken aboard the Saxonia, and shows a room the steerage
passengers could occupy during their waking hours. |
Recently, after receiving some new information from a family
member, I decided to re-examine the ships manifest. I had never paid much attention to the names
of the children since I knew there were some mistakes in transcription. For
instance, my grandmother, who was ten at the time, was listed as Josepha, but
her name was Josephine. Josephine’s
sister Frances was also listed incorrectly as a boy named Francisco. I had counted the number of children on the
manifest, which is the same number as shown in a family portrait among my
grandmother’s collection of photographs.
The unusual family portrait, taken in about 1913, is one
that I have always found intriguing. In
the midst of the family members who were actually present for the portrait sitting,
are two inserted pictures. I recall asking my grandmother about these siblings inserted
into the portrait and her answer was that they were her sisters, one
who was left behind in the Azores and one who had died. For some reason I
misinterpreted what she meant and thought that the child left behind died in
the Azores, and that is what I believed until recently. I was wrong.
Take a close look at the portrait. The little girl standing with her hand on her
mother’s lap in the front row and the third girl from the left in the back row
are the inserts.
A short time ago I learned that the little girl added to the portrait was still living in the Azores when the portrait was taken in about 1913. In 1909 when the family left for the United States, she was left behind crying at the dock, unable to board the ship because she was sick. Jesuina, or Josie as she was called, stayed in the Azores with her godparents and did not reunite with her family in America until she immigrated in 1916 at eleven years old. Aunt Josie, who I fondly remember, went on to marry, have children, and live a long and happy life always living just a stone’s throw away from her sisters and brother and their families.
Maria de Jesus, the girl inserted into the back row of the
portrait is listed on the 1909 ship’s manifest. Unfortunately, all I know
about her is her name, age, and occupation, listed as servant, which was
gathered from information provided on the passenger list.
My search continues for Maria de Jesus.
In addition to information on my family, further research
unearthed some interesting yet unsettling findings about the conditions that
the steerage passengers endured.
Passengers traveling steerage were often looked upon as mere freight to
be transported. The women and girls were frequently subject to aggressive advances
by unseemly male crew and stewards. Their journey across the Atlantic was most
likely a stressful and distressing event.
I cannot say that my family endured a horrible experience, but it is
highly probable that they encountered at least dirty, smelly, and overcrowded
conditions aboard the ship.
Citations
Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2006.
"Boston's hold on immigrant
traffic." n.pag. Web. 19 Apr 2012. <http://www.gjenvick.com>.
Read more: Boston Harbor - Historical Brochures, Maps and Documents Archives http://www.gjenvick.com/PortsAndHarbors/Boston/index.html#ixzz1sUn0VxV0
Read more: Boston Harbor - Historical Brochures, Maps and Documents Archives http://www.gjenvick.com/PortsAndHarbors/Boston/index.html#ixzz1sUn0VxV0
"Women in Steerage - Conditions called Appalling - 1909
Article Read more: Women in Steerage - Conditions called Appalling - 1909
Article http://www.gjenvick.com/Steerage/1909-WomenInSteerage-ConditionsCalledAppalling.html
""The Cunard
Line’s Saxonia." N.p., n. d. Web. 19 Apr. 2012. . ." Maghera Roots
Journey to the Past. Bob McNamara, n. d. Web. 19 Apr. 2012. http://www.nestorsbridge.com/maghera/saxonia-1.html






No comments:
Post a Comment